The Pflugerville Police Department is a registered SafeTrade Station that allows and encourages residents buying and selling items through Craigslist, Facebook, and other online sites to meet either inside the Pflugerville Justice Center lobby, 1611 E. Pfennig Lane, or in the parking lot.
With officers regularly coming in and out of the Justice Center, this program provides residents a safer location for online transaction sales. Residents can enter the Police Department's public facility lobby during office hours or use the parking lot after hours for online sale exchanges or purchases. This designation encourages a safer alternative to having a stranger come to your home.
Nationwide programs including SafeTrade Stations, Operation Safe Sale and Safe Lot are all part of a collective effort by police departments to provide residents with additional security when performing online transactions.
The following tips are recommended from SafeTrade for all sales:
- Meet at a public place to exchange and photocopy each other’s identification papers, such as a driver’s license. Do not carry cash to this location.
- Photocopy the license or paper or use your phone to photograph it. This is proof of the seller’s identity if the item might have been stolen.
- Email the ID information to a friend or someone you trust. Consider giving the name, meetup place and phone number and address of the seller, if known, to a trusted friend before your initial meeting with the seller.
- If you are given a cashier’s check, money order or other equivalent, call the bank at the number listed online, not a number the buyer gives you to verify the validity of the check.
If a bulky item restricts you from selling at the Justice Center, remember these important tips:
- Never be outnumbered. Make sure you have others with you. There’s some safety in numbers.
- Never let someone go anywhere unaccompanied in your home. Not even to the bathroom.
- Never let more than one group into your home at a time to buy or sell.