It Can Happen to YOU!
Fraudulent use of Identifying Information (Penal Code Section 32.51) is a crime in the State of Texas punishable by 180 days up to 2 years in a State Jail Facility and an optional fine not to exceed $10,000. Fraudulent Use of Identifying Information also known as Identity Theft is on the rise in the United States. With the increased use of the Internet, bankcards and credit cards, criminals have learned to use this hands-free method of banking and purchasing to their advantage.
Filing an Identity Theft Case with the Pflugerville Police Department
To file an Identity Theft case with the Pflugerville Police Department you must complete the following:
- Contact the three major credit reporting bureaus and get copies from all three bureaus.
- Complete an affidavit of fact (Identity Theft Affidavit) stating that you did not set up the fraudulent accounts and did not give anyone permission to set up the accounts. (Available at the Police Department or on the Federal Trade Commission Website)
- Have copies of all fraudulent charges, receipts or statements.
To file a credit card abuse case:
- File the Credit Card Abuse case in the law enforcement jurisdiction where the card was used.
- If the credit card was used at several locations in different cities, a separate report must be filed in each city.
- To file a credit card abuse case occurring in the City of Pflugerville, contact the Pflugerville Police Department at 512-990-6700, Option 1, and complete the Identity Theft/Credit Card Abuse Packet.
Forgery cases are generally related to forged prescriptions or forged checks. If you are a victim of forgery, you will have to file an initial theft report in the law enforcement jurisdiction where the checks were stolen. Once you file this report you will then have to file additional reports in each of the jurisdictions where each check was forged. If you are a victim of forgery where a check was passed in the City of Pflugerville, you may contact the Pflugerville Police Department at 512-990-6700.
- You will need to have the following information prior to filing a report:
- Complete an affidavit of forgery with your bank stating that you did not sign or execute the check(s). You must provide a copy of this affidavit for the report.
- A legible copy from your bank.
- You may also be asked to submit original writings or samples of your writings with your signature. Detectives may also request that you submit to a handwriting analysis.
- Provide the original case number for the theft of the checks and any other offense numbers that you have received or filed in other jurisdictions.
If you suspect that someone has used your Social Security Number to file a fraudulent Tax Return you may file a complaint with the Pflugerville Police Department. However, in order for the Pflugerville Police Department to investigate your case, the following forms must be filled out prior to us taking a report.
|U.S. Federal Trade Commission||www.ftc.gov||1-877-438-4338|
|Federal Trade Commission - Identity Theft||https://www.identitytheft.gov/|
|Texas Department of Transportation||www.txdot.gov||1-866-658-5758|
|The Internet Crime Complaint Center||http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx|